Sunday, February 8, 2009

Happy New Year!

It's only the last couple of weeks that I feel I've been able to begin my new year. I had surgery in January on my outer lung and I've been home recovering ever since. I've never had surgery before and this was definitely a wake up call for me in reviewing what is most important in my life. Unfortunately, my energy is really zapped. I lost a lot of weight over the last several months and am trying to regain my strength, weight and begin new eating patterns. I've gained 3 lbs and hope to gain about 25 more. Isn't life brutally ironic!

I went into the office a couple of days last week for just a few hours at at time, and hope to work some full-time days this week. I look forward to having my movement, energy, and weight back.

My wife has had a rough adjustment through all this. She was basically single-mothering for the last 3 weeks until I could get on my feet and begin lifting things again. Regaining my independence and even being able to drive again has really lifted my spirits. I hope she has seen some improvement and is feeling better about things.

So for Christmas, to preemptively prepare for the whole DTV switch, my wonderful wife bought me Dish Network Satellite TV. Because we live in a very rural part of the county, we only got one network on TV and a couple of PBS stations. Other stations were very fuzzy. When I got Dish, I couldn't believe how clear the picture was and I didn't realize how much I've missed TV. My favorite feature of course is the fact that I can record things and watch them at my convenience. Mallory and I end up watching our favorite shows at night once the kids have gone to bed. I love it!!!

So Valentine's Day is on Saturday. I wonder how many men will forget or wait until the last minute. I always find the Hallmark isle at this time of year a fascinating social phenomenon.

Looking forward to spring weather. We've had a nice week of mild temps for February and some rain too. Snow is coming this week. Last year at this time, i was stuck in a storm that forced me to stay at my mom's house for the night. Roads were so bad that some people ended up sleeping in their cars. I'm glad the winter has been a bit more mild this year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear that you've been ill. I hope you'll be up and healthy in no time. I send my love to you and the family!

Tim and Maria Jones said...

I came into Grad Studies on Thursday and found out for the first time that you weren't doing so hot. Glad to see you blogging and doing a bit better! Happy new year to you!

Siri said...

Kevin, Wow! THe news of your surgery was a shock! Good luck in your recovery!!!