Thursday, February 19, 2009

Gaining Weight in a Weight Loss World

In world that often emphasizes weight loss and with growing numbers of individuals experiencing obesity, its often difficult to get information on gaining weight in a healthy manner. I have been working to gain back weight that I lost over the last few months due to my illness and eventual surgery. I'm down 35 pounds and have gained back 9. I met with a registered dietitian and she gave me some wonderful words of wisdom, which included lots of fruits and vegetables. Here is a site that I found to be rather useful for those that are, like myself, trying to gain weight.

Some of the things that I've been doing include: eating 3 meals a day with 2 mini-meals or snacks in-between, I switched to whole milk, I drink two protein shakes a day, lots of whole grains, and I try to eat lots of nuts such as almonds, walnuts, and my favorite cashews, during snack times. It doesn't hurt to have almonds in chocolate bar too.

I can't believe what extreme weight loss (malnourishment) has done on my body (bones, muscles, energy, etc). I can see what a tremendous impact that anorexia has on those suffering from this as well. I'm glad to be back among the "healthy eaters" and I'm really enjoying all this good food. Yum! Forks up!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad to hear you're doing a little better! We were sure worried about you.

Siri said...

Sounds like a good diet:). Hope you guys are doing well!!!