Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Boston, MA

I'm currently in Boston for a graduate recruiting fair which was held on Monday evening at Boston University. This was my first trip to Boston. I love the city and the history of the buildings, etc. Here is a view of the river from my hotel.


We also went on a tour of the city and walked all over the Harvard campus today. Interestingly, the city still uses the old gas lamps and they keep them lit all day. They found it cheaper to keep them lit all day than to hire people to turn them off and on.


I think my favorite part of the trip was the history of some of the buildings. We briefly went by the Henry Longfellow house (now a state park). It was officially closed but the curator gave us a brief tour. Longfellow had associations with Charles Dickens, Henry David Thoreau, Emerson, and others. Washington used the home as his headquarters in 1775 - 76. Today, the home is a National State Park.


The Gardens at the Longfellow House

The original Massachusetts State house (1713) and the new State House with the gold dome (both featured below):


Old State House




New State House

1 comment:

Sarah said...

FUN!!! Ya'll get to go on the best trips, I'm so jealous!