Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Green Stomach

So my siblings and I have always suffered from time to time from what we affectionately call the "Green Stomach" because we inherited heartburn and other stomach ailments from our dad. Well, our little Landon has been diagnosed with Acid Reflux and has inherited the Green Stomach as well. We currently have him on Prevacid. He is slowly improving but Mallory ends up holding him for several hours during the day. The doctor wants us to try it for 2 weeks and see if we notice a marked improvement. We've been doing some reading and have found that many newborns that used to suffer from colic are now being diagnosed with what they call GERD --gastroesophogeal reflux.

I don't think he has colic. Lexi definitely had colic and was a completely different temperament when it came to eating and fussing. Let's hope this passes soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor little thing! I'll be sending healthy baby vibes your way!

Mrs. Misses said...

I totally have the Green Stomach and Brenden also did. Our dr put him on Prevacid, too and it was so tricky getting it to go down his throat. I put it in juice, water, a dropper, a bottle...finally I just got him on GentleEase formula and would practically sit him up for each feeding. It helped a little but he still spit up after almost every feeding, although it was less with the formula (PS DON'T DO SOY). It was weird cause Cam never spit up but Bren TOTALLY has all of my Green genes. He finally grew out of his spitting up phase (like at 8 or 10 months or something) but he eats like me, is shaped like me and I'm sure will still have the Green Stomach just like me. Can't wait to come and visit!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kev. Long time no talk. Sorry to hear about your little guy. Zachary also had acid reflux until he was 9 months old and he "grew out of it." Until that time he took Zantac. We also tried a bunch of other things to help (i.e., elevating his head, adding cereal to his milk, formula, etc.) and had him tested for pyloric stenosis. I was ready to take him to the chiropractor (which I heard had worked for other reflux sufferers) when he grew out of it. Good luck. Send me an email sometime.